Dare to be Fabulous features women’s personal stories of daring, joy, and empowerment. Have you heard the adage “compare and despair”? Dare to be Fabulous proposes this antidote: “relate and celebrate”!
Every woman’s personality and circumstances are unique, but we can all relate to how it feels to cross a personal divide, to enter unknown terrain, to take a chance, to shift perspective, to face a fear, or to stretch a little. Personal daring is a fabulous thing. Liberating ourselves from long-established routines, behaviors, expectations, or fears, can be very empowering, and it can also bring a healthy dose of levity and laughter.
The personal is universal, and the universal personal. Every affirming action reverberates into the world and bolsters others in its wake.
Dare to be Fabulous celebrates our common experience of personal daring, under a wide variety of circumstances. Many of the previously featured stories on our website are now being compiled for a book publication. New story submissions also continue to be welcomed.
Subscribe to receive our occasional blog posts and book-related updates.
About the Editor
Johanna McCloy lived in Spain, India, Japan, and Venezuela, before attending Duke University and getting her B.A. in Comparative Area Studies and Anthropology. She is a writer and editor, a SAG-AFTRA actor with starring and guest starring credits in TV and film,, and co-founder of VeggieHappy.
Johanna is also the editor of her mother’s memoir, Six Car Lengths Behind an Elephant: Undercover & Overwhelmed as a CIA Wife and Mother by Lillian McCloy, which has received rave reader reviews.
Some samples of Johanna’s published writing:
- Personal essay: “My father, the Spy,” Duke Magazine (“Before/After” in the print edition, page 24-25)
- Article: “Kathleen Courtney is Behind the Scenes at Alameda Point,” Oakland Magazine
- Personal essay: “Delhi Diary,” India Currents Magazine
- Multiple articles in Truth Atlas Magazine
- Op-Ed: “Bill is needed to help restore California as film capital,” Bay Area News Group (printed in 11 daily and weekly newspapers)
- Personal essay: “Truckin‘,” Dare to be Fabulous featured story